Skip to content
750 State Rd, Dartmouth, MA 02747  •  Phone: 508-996-3731 • Fax: 508-996-3750 • Email
Mon.-Fri. 8am-8pm; Sat. 8am-5pm; • Closed Sundays & Major Holidays

Emergency Winter Seasonal Pet Tips for New Bedford Pet Owners

New Bedford Emergency Veterinary CareWhile we know that our clients are careful to keep their pets out of harm’s way, we also know that pets are not unlike human toddlers who seem to do everything they can to find trouble. Even if you make sure to keep dangerous items out of reach, a curious dog or cat can surprise you at home tenacious and focused they can be to get into them anyway. During the winter months when pets are kept indoors for longer periods than they are in the warmer seasons, they tend to get into even more trouble.

It pays for New Bedford pet owners to be aware of the common dangers, but also the signs and symptoms that may require a trip to their local Dartmouth emergency vet. Anchor Animal Hospital provides seasonal pet tips to our clients and neighbors to help prevent accidents and injuries. Our experience as a long-running veterinary clinic and emergency veterinary hospital has provided us with a lot of insight into the common winter injuries and issues that local pets may be exposed to this time of year.

Houseplants

They say that curiosity “killed” the cat, but it doesn’t have to be that way. There are certain plants that are more toxic or potentially dangerous to felines than others. Many of these plants are also harmful to dogs, rabbits, and other common household pets. Take time to look up all of the plants that you have in your home to find out if they are a danger. Holiday season plants, such as poinsettia can be poisonous if consumed in large quantities, while other popular selections like mistletoe and holly can be extremely toxic.

Some of the symptoms associated with ingesting toxic or poisonous houseplants can include vomiting and diarrhea, abdominal pain, or excessive drooling. If you notice these symptoms, bring your pet to our Dartmouth emergency vet clinic without delay. New Bedford pet owners can also contact our clinic by phone if you suspect ingestion of houseplants or any other toxic substance.

Antifreeze

One of the most essential fluids for your car in the winter is also the most hazardous chemical to have in a home with cats and dogs. Antifreeze smells and tastes sweet, which makes it attractive to pets. Even just a small quantity of antifreeze can result in fatal kidney damage. Pets who consume antifreeze may appear intoxicated, as it is poisoning their system. If you are even slightly concerned that your pet may have ingested even a tiny bit of antifreeze, contact your local emergency veterinary hospital right away.

The longer you wait between ingestion and the start of treatment, the worse your pet’s chances are for recovery. If you have antifreeze in your garage or home, make sure it is in a locked cabinet or secured in some way that would prevent your pet from having access. Antifreeze is dangerous for outdoor pets as well, including feral cats that might find their way into your garage. The more you can do to prevent access even if your pets don’t enter that area of your home, the better.

Paw Damage

Online videos of dogs trying to walk around in shoes or boots can be humorous, but the truth is that it is important to have some type of paw protection to prevent a lot of seasonal injuries that can occur due to the snow and ice. Even if you are just taking your dog out for a walk around the block, exposure to rock salt or de-icing chemicals, freezing temperatures, ice, and thick snow can result in a lot of pain. Ice and snow can build up between the toes and increase the risk for frostbite. Even a small abrasion to your dog’s paw pads could end up in an infection.

It is a good idea to try boots, but if your dog refuses to wear them when going outdoors, at least get in the habit of wiping their paws with warm water and cloth as soon as you get home. This will help New Bedford pet owners to remove any salt or chemicals from their dog’s feet and ensure that snow and ice do not remain between the toes. Make sure to wipe your pet’s fur down with a clean towel as well to remove any lingering snow or ice when you get home. This will help them to warm up faster and get their body back to normal temperature.

What to Do in Case of Emergency?

If your pet has sustained any type of injury, has ingested anything that you suspect could be harmful, or is simply not acting “normal” in any way, make sure to contact your local Dartmouth emergency vet right away. When you come to Anchor Animal emergency veterinary hospital, we will provide you with top quality care for your cat, dog or other domesticated animals. We understand that your pets are a member of your family and we will do everything in our power to get them back in good health. Give us a call at 508-996-3731 to speak with one of our team members or to schedule an appointment for your pet.

Scroll To Top